I have been connected to the Pioneers of Change since 2008, where I have been part of the cultivating team and explore the what direction the network should take. It has become clear that the present form of the network is no longer serving, and that the people stewarding this has moved on – The people who are pioneers and who integrate the 5 principles of the Pioneers of change is still doing amazing things – whereas the network is no longer active.
The Pioneers of Change is a network that has been working to help young leaders find their own career paths and work as free agents and on topics that really mattered to them. The pioneers of change are about stepping out of the notion that you have to educate yourself to fit into a certain box or job in society, and helping young leaders between 25 and 35 create their own paths and jobs.
As Pioneers of Change we operate from five core principles:
- Be yourselfIt is up to each of us, as moral beings, to decide how to act and to freely form our contribution to the whole. We must think this reality through, and not hide from it. This means looking inside oneself and asking “What are the basic principles which help me decide what is good?”, being able to listen to one’s intuition, even when it contradicts the social structures around us. We are all a part of life, and we all have a unique contribution to make. What is it?
- Do what mattersThe world needs us more than ever. It needs pioneers to be treating problems at the root causes, not just the symptoms, to be making change at a systemic level. Doing what matters requires a capacity to diagnose the problems we face, to understand the underlying patterns, to remove barriers, to find the leverage points and make the change there. It requires us to be conscious of the consequences of our actions, and to choose to do good, not harm, according to the deeper values and the higher ideals we each hold.
- Start nowThe future is created by how we live now. It is not necessary to compromise who we are in the present, or to wait to take off the lid that is keeping us from allowing our creative expression to be put to use in areas that matter to us and the world. We don’t focus on all the reasons why it might not work – if the platform and tools do not exist to make our dream possible, we get going in creating them. Learning comes with action.
- Engage with OthersConnect with something bigger than yourself. Search for those who are working on similar or related things, share ideas with them, ask them for help and work with them where useful. Be willing to offer them help when they need it as well. Engaging with others is about engaging with those who share your visions, but also about engaging with those who think differently from you and are doing something that may seem completely different and unrelated. Engage across diversity, for that is how we learn.
- Never Stop Asking QuestionsUnderstanding is constantly evolving, and there is always the possibility of future discovery. While committing to our current intentions, we have to continue to question our own views as we continue to question others and listen to their answers. As we start to view the world from the perspective of life, more and more practices around us simply do not make sense. We are surrounded by paradoxes in a phase when established systems no longer meet our needs. We need to perceive and question these paradoxes, daring to appear naive, while developing the capacity to transcend them. As Einstein said, no problem is solved from the same consciousness that created it.